How News & Events sections are set up on DCU department sites
When ISS are setting up your site, they will set up a News & Events section with the following features:
- A News & Events homepage - This is usually at www.dcu.ie/yourdepartment/news.shtml. It is automatically populated by Drupal with the latest news stories created by you using the News Article content type (see below for more information.)
- A News & Events archive page - This is usually at www.dcu.ie/yourdepartment/news/archive.shtml. This is a list of all news stories, automatically organised by year and month.
- Two blocks that will appear on the right hand side of all news pages on your site (shown above), a Latest News block which lists the five most recent stories and a News Archive block which lists months which have articles in them.
All of these pages are automatically generated by Drupal. The only thing you need to do is create the news articles themselves.
Creating a News Article
Creating a News Article is quite similar to creating a page in Drupal. Before proceeding with this tutorial, you should ensure that you are familiar with the tutorial How do I create a page in Drupal? as it details some general good practices for creating content in Drupal, e.g. the order in which to fill in fields, creating your URL alias first, when to publish content etc.
Key differences from creating an ordinary basic page
- After clicking on the Add content link on the top right corner of your browser window, you should select News Article from the dialog box instead of Basic Page, as shown below:
The News Article screen will then display.
- When creating a news article, the field for you to add your title appears at the top of the editing screen (shown below) instead of the bottom. There is also a second field,News Article Page Title. You should fill in the title you wish to use for your news article in both of these fields (shown below). What you fill in should be identical in both fields.
- The Body field in a News Article is named Article Content. In this field you should only put the text of the article itself. You do not need to add the title, date or picture as they are automatically inserted from the other fields. Below you will see an example of how the different fields correspond to areas of the news article as they will appear on the page.
Note: This screenshot was created prior to the new DCU website launch in April 2013. The layout of the page and size of the image displayed may vary after this point.
- The Date field should be filled in with the date you want to appear in the article. It is generally pre-populated with a date and time that you can use. Note: This will only affect the date that is displayed on the news article itself. Your article will be organised on archive pages/blocks according to the date you create and publish the article, regardless of what date you enter here.
- The Image field allows you to upload an image for use in the news article. You should ensure the image you upload meets the criteria listed in the tutorial How do I resize and prepare images for use on the DCU website?.
- Whatever text you add into the Image Caption field will be added as a caption below the image.
- You should select your department from the Department field as per the instructions in the How do I create a page in Drupal? tutorial. It is very important that you select the correct department when creating a news article as otherwise the article will not appear on your News & Events page.
- You should leave the Frontpage Slideshow box unticked. This field is only for the use of DCU Communications & Marketing.
- You should leave the Sub-department field blank, unless otherwise instructed by ISS
- It is very important that you fill in the URL Alias field correctly when creating a news article. Creating a URL alias for a news article differs slightly from creating a URL alias for a normal page. See the section on news articles in the URL alias tutorial for information on how to do this.